Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Because Three Hour Flight Delays are Rough

Almost 12 hours ago I was getting ready to pull out of Provo to begin this incredible journey to Europe... And here I am... In the Minneapolis/St. Paul airport. Still.

Note: I love this airport. It's known as the mall airport, so it can't be too bad, right? Except when everything closes right after you land. We barely made it in time to get something to eat from La Brea.

The last 48 hours have been so crazy. And uh admittedly some of that craziness maybe could have been avoided if I had done things differently, although it certainly could have been crazier for the same reason. So. Because I have at least another hour before we fly out, let me share the wisdom I have gleaned. 

THINGS I DID WRONG

Due purely to forgetful oversight on my part, I forgot to select a seat when I booked my tickets and when I got on last week it said that there were none available... Uh what? Turns out it's just some weird thing and they assigned me one when I checked it, but that was an unnecessarily stressful and terrifying experience. 

Didn't get US cash out before getting to the airport.. And as a result ended up wandering around the MSP airport looking for a Wells Fargo ATM for at least 15 minutes. 

Got to the airport over 3 hours early. OK, being early is never bad. But that was excessive. Two and a half hours would have been more than enough time, and instead I was sitting around forEVER.

Maybe more than 4 hours of sleep would be a good idea... Just in case your flight gets delayed for OVER THREE HOURS (oh did I already mention that..?...hmph)

Temporarily forgot where the safe place I stashed my passport was... Major 1 am panic attack during which I called my mom because I was afraid I left it in Rexburg (she didn't answer and I found it right where i put it like a minute later)

THINGS I DID RIGHT

Only checked one bag and only have one carry-on, both with space and weight to spare. Normally I am terrible about overpacking, but I am ridiculously proud of how light I packed this time around... Plus, plenty of room for souvenirs!! :) 

Checked in and printed my boarding pass plenty early- 24 hours in advance... Which is the soonest you can. Relieved so much stress.

Brought things to do in the airport.. Like writing letters and reading the Ensign and blogging. Also brought food to eat while I sat around. 

Met up with other study abroad friends! Like seriously I would be dying if I was alone right now. 

Also... I'm going to London... So I mean I really can't do anything better than that ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment