Thursday, June 26, 2014

My Nightmare that ended in a Dream (Day 1)

This post may be a day late, but that's because I was exhausted beyond functioning yesterday. It has been a journey to say the least. I flew safely out of Salt Lake City to Minneapolis, but in Minneapolis our flight (at this point there were 6 of us) got delayed three hours and then cancelled altogether. So they had to reroute the entire plane full of people going to London. What a disaster. 

This is us right after finding out the flight was Cancelled:


And here we are after we had been waiting in line to get our new boarding passes for an hour (did I mention it was after 1 am at this point?):


We slept in the airport Food Court for a grand total of 2 hours, and then began to split ways. I got rerouted on my own to JFK so after spending the entire day in the airport killing time and awkwardly napping outside my departure gate, I found out my flight to JFK would be delayed enough that I would miss my connection to London...and have to wait another whole day (or at least another long night) in New York. (There were lots of distraught tears and frantic calling to my dad). Fortunately, thanks to my dad's advice, and the help of some friendly customer service ladies NOT working in the terminal where all these awful delays were happening, I got rebooked on a flight leaving in an hour to Detroit, and then a flight an hour and a half later from there to London. Thanks to many prayers and a whole lot of blessings, both of those flights went safely and with no further delays. In fact I got into London 30 minutes ahead of schedule (almost 24 hours later than planned however. Made it through customs (I'm not carrying illegal substances friends) to find out that my luggage had gone to New York on the flight that I rebooked. So it was still there. But at least I wasn't. And I only had my backpack to traverse London alone with. So there were definitely some plusses in that situation. 

THis is me before braving the Tube 100% alone:


But you know what...? 

I AM HERE!!! I have arrived in "the flower of cities all!" I never want to leave. It's amazing. 

Don't you think?


No comments:

Post a Comment