Tuesday, July 15, 2014

There is an Old College that's kind of Famous (Day 20)

Today was a really nice morning because I woke up early, got ready before everyone else, and had lots of time to be relaxed and get stuff done before we got on the coach at 8:45. This was the first bus ride in a very long time that I didn't fall asleep at all, an interesting change from our trip last week..although I really wasn't terribly thrilled about being on the coach again..

Our first stop was at Blenheim Palace, where the Duke of Marlborough still lives, and also where Winston Churchhill was born. It was SO BEAUTIFUL. And the gardens were absolutely incredible. I have to admit, I would not mind living in a place like that.. or even just having grounds like that. So if anyone knows of any young, attractive, single Dukes who are looking to get married..let me know. 








We walked through the Italian gardens and terraces and then out to a spectacular rose garden and then down along a lakeside path that was incredible even when everything wasn't in full bloom. I could have probably spent days just wandering around those grounds. Easily. 







Unfortunately, we were only there for about two hours, before we drove just a little farther to the city of Oxford..home of (surprise surprise) Oxford University. Just the oldest university in the United Kingdom and one of the oldest in all of Europe. Not a big deal or anything (that was sarcasm in case you didn't pick up on it...it's actually a REALLY big deal). I really like the style of university that they have in Europe in general..with different colleges that actually signify something besides just what category your major falls into. I would really like to attend a university like that at some point in my life. New bucket list item. The first place we discovered was a cute little covered market with lots of shops that we just wandered around in. I had some Brazilian Cheese Balls (not as good as the Coverston's) for lunch, and some cake cutoffs for only a pound from this super expensive crazy decorated cake shop. 


Of course we had to get Oxford T-Shirts (I'm sure at some point in the near future I will have a picture of mine, but for now I don't. Just know it's cute. Then we went and saw a pub called the Eagle and Child...which is where a bunch of famous and important writers (this C.S. Lewis and JRR Tolkien and the like) used to hang out while they were all at Oxford together. 


Kindal and I accidentally walked across the whole town (it's a lot smaller than the map makes it look), but ended up getting some dinner and chilling outside the Cafe, across from Christ Church College for longer than I am willing to admit. To finish off the trip, our whole group attended Evensong in the monastery in Christ Church, which is also a really neat experience. It is so cool to be part of a worship service different from my own and to be able to be a part of something like that. Plus, there is always time for my own personal reflection and meditation. Overall a good trip on multiple counts. 


(I like to pretend like I can take artsy photos)

No comments:

Post a Comment