Tuesday, July 22, 2014

87 Million Square Feet of Palace Grounds (Day 27)

So I guess I thought that going to Fontainebleau yesterday would be the height of the history nerd in me freaking out....uh I was so very wrong about that.
Today, after a breakfast of crepes and croissants, we took the Paris metro (way sketchier than the London Underground) and then a train outside the city to THE PALACE OF VERSAILLES!! It was seriously one of the coolest things ever.
We didn't actually end up going through the Palace because there were literally THOUSANDS of people in line (see image below) and really there were only a few rooms I wanted to see anyway.
Do you see all those people? THOUSANDS
Instead, we spent about 4 ours exploring a "small" portion of the Royal Garden. I cannot even explain how massive the gardens are.. I mean everyone always says that they are massive, but even with that preparation I was still totally taken aback...massive does not even begin to describe the size of these palace grounds. No wonder the people of France were a little irritated with their monarchs! I could easily have spent days in the gardens alone. PLUS it was SO incredibly beautiful. My mind was completely blown by how awe-inspiring it all was!
Eh just a casual view of the Grand Canal

What? Check out those hedges!

Much Garden, Such Amaze

Look at me being all artsy

How often do you think they have to trim these?!?

I just really like this picture

OK so there's the palace from the back

IT IS SO BIG

Just one of many random classical garden features

More pretty things..

HOW IS THERE STILL MORE TO SEE???

Who takes care of this?!? It is seriously PERFECT!

A little perspective

That pink dot is me. The huge building is the back corner of Versailles

Seriously this is just there randomly in this huge forest-y area.

The Palace. Ummm

More garden features...
After exploring the grounds at Versailles for a while, we decided to hit up some big sights with the rest of our day... after we ate of course.. I had quiche and Creme Brulee..the French are definitely doing something right when it comes to food. Then off to see the sights: First, of course, we walked along the River Seine and saw the Eiffel Tower. It is so beautiful! I did not expect to be so impressed by the metal-work and the overall architecture of this monument!

Seriously isn't this incredible?!

Hey look! Me and the Eiffel Tower!
Then we went to Notre Dame Cathedral. None of us are Catholic, so we had no clue that today was actually the Feast of Mary Magdalene and we happened to get there just in time to hear the last service before the Cathedral closed for the day. That was really neat to be a part of as well!
Notre Dame
There's the island where Notre Dame is
I am kind of bummed that we only have one day left in Paris, because this is such a neat city and there is so much that we won't have time to explore. I guess that just means that I will be back someday!

No comments:

Post a Comment